Ben started his path to endurance sports in middle school, racing track and 5Ks. With a drive to try new things, he entered his first duathlon at 15 and jumped into the world of triathlon the same year. At 16, he won the triathlon age group National Long Course title and was completely hooked.
He read everything he could get his hands on, asked a million questions, really enjoying the learning curve and the process of figuring out how to balance school and sports. While in Colorado for college, he had the privilege to volunteer as an assistant coach for a high school track team. This exposed him to a side of the sport where he was a part of other's successes and he truly enjoyed it. Life and career took himelsewhere, but in 2008 he found that competitive fire again.
He picked up where he left off, studying hard, taking training methods of the past that had shown results and combining them with new methodologies. At the same time, he began coordinating, creating, and leading group workouts with the University of North Texas Triathlon Club members and in 2011 formed the first triathlon training club in Denton, TX: KMF Performance. The results came quickly and he received his USA Triathlon Level 1 Coaching certification and US Masters Swim Level 1 & 2 Coaching certifications before moving into full time endurance coaching in 2014.
After many notable achievements by KMF athletes, he was honored to be named USA Triathlon National Coach of the Year for 2014. Now KMF is looking ahead to a bright 2015, and will continue to Keep Moving Forward!
Recent Athletic and Coaching Experience
- USAT National Coach of the Year for 2014
- Finisher of multiple marathons, ultra distance, Half Iron, and Ironman distance races; including Top 20 finish in the 2014 USATF 100 mile National Championship Trail Race
- USAT South Midwest Region Overall Winner 2014
- USAT Age Group Sprint Nationals 2014 - 5th place AG.
- ITU Worlds Sprint Qualifier with a 5th place AG at USAT Age Group Nationals
- 2014 USAT Texas Sprint Championship Winner 2014
- 70.3 World Championship Qualifier - 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2014
- USAT Collegiate Nationals Sprint Champion - 2010, 2011
- USAT All American Honors - 2010, 2011, 2013, 2014
- ARK Traveler 100 Mile Run - 12th place finisher
- 2011 ITU Long Course Worlds Qualifier
- 2010 Boston Marathon Qualifier - 2010 & 2012